The state capital of Mizoram. Aizawl came into being as a fortified post on the recommendation of Mr. Dally of the Assam Military Police Battalion in the spring of 1890. It is now 112 years old and is situated at an altitude of 400 feet above sea level. It has a population of approximately 2,000,00. The city stands on a high ridge surrounded on the east by the deep green valley of the river Tuirial and on the west by the river Tlawng with its lush emerald valleys. The hills are steep and separated by rivers which flow creating deep gorges between the hill ranges. The highest peak in Mizoram is the Blue Mountain (Phawngpui) with a height of 2210 meters.
On the north, Aizawl is protected by beautiful high craging--- hills of Durtlang and the capital city stands like a huge citadel. It is adorned by picturesque scenery and peaceful surroundings with mild and enjoyable weather throughout the year.
Aizawl is an ideal hill station for tourists looking for solitude, clean and fresh environment and new definitions. One can find all categories of accommodation, though, they are not too luxurious but they are good enough to provide you proper comfort and satisfaction.
- Bara Bazar
- Luangmual Handicrafts Centre
- Mizoram State Museum at McDonald hill,
- Durtlang Hills
- Mini Zoo
- Berawtlang Tourist Complex
- By Air - Nearest major airport is Shillong. Aizawl, the capital town of Mizoram is linked by Alliance Air Service everyday to Kolkata nearly 1 hour 45 minutes, Guwahati is 40 minutes and Imphal is 30 minutes. Lengpui airport at Aizawl is connected with Guwahati, Silchar & Kolkata. It is well connected to all the capital cities of the north eastern states of India. Aizawl is also connected to Kolkata, 1547 kilometers by air, through which it is connected to the rest of the India.
- By Rail - The nearest rail station is in Silchar, which is 185 kilometers away from Aizawl. One can travel from Guwahati to Silchar by Barak Valley Express, Cachar Express or the Tripura Passenger.
- By Road – National Highway number 54 connects Aizwal with the rest of the country through Silchar. Buses and taxis are available from Silchar to Aizwal. 24 hours bus services are available. Aizawl can be approached by road from Shillong and Guwahati. Aizawl is close to Guwahati (Assam) at a distance of 466 kilometers, Imphal (Manipur) is about 361 kilometers from Aizawl. Shillong (Meghalaya) is about 420 kilometers from Aizawl. Agartala (Tripura) is about 457 kilometers from Aizawl. Kohima is 506 kilometers from Aizawl.