Original called Lumlangdong (now Lamangdong), the historical town of Bishnupur is at a distance of 27 kilometers from Imphal, the capital of Manipur. Preferable time to travel is October to February. Bishnupur or the land of dancing deer’s is the capital of Bishnupriya Manipuri’s. Bishnupur lies at the foothill and is known for the 15th century Vishnu temple. The single rock carving conical roofed shrine is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. The temple is conical roofed temple curved out of single piece of rock. Tourist attractions are Keibul Lamjao National Park, Loktak Lake and Loukoipat Ecological Park.
- The Bishnu Temple :
Built in 1467, during the reign of King Kiyamba, the temple is interesting for its distant past and Chinese design. Bishnupur is also renowned for its stone production / chiseled stoneware
- Keibul Lamjao National Park :
Kelbul Lamjao National Park is situated 53km from Imphal on the fringes of Loktak Lake. The only floating National Park in the World, on the Loktak Lake is the last natural habitat of "Sangai" - the dancing deer of Manipur . A glimpse of the deer in this unique wetland ecosystem is a must for any wildlife enthusiast.
- Loktak Lake and Sendra Island :
Loktak Lake is a largest fresh water lake in the North-Eastern region located 48km from Imphal. Loktak Lake is a huge and beautiful stretch of water spread up to 312 square kilometers area and looks like a miniature island sea. Phubala is a marshy floating Island 40 kilometers south of Imphal.
- Ecological Park :
This was established in the year 1992. The park houses - Rock Garden, Hawa Ghar, Circular Path and Japanese Pond with boating facilities.
- By Air – The nearest airport is at Imphal 32 kilometers from Bishnupur. Imphal is connected by air with Kolkata and New Delhi. Indian Airlines, Jet Airways connects Imphal to Delhi, 4 hours Journey. Imphal to Kolkata is 1 hour, Aizwal 30 minutes, Jorhat 35 minutes and Silchar is 30 minutes. Guwahati is the major airport 50 minutes flight from Imphal.
- By Rail – Imphal 32 kilometers from Bishnupur. Nearest railway station is Dimapur and Manipur Road on the North East Frontier Railway (NEF) nearly 230 kilometers from Bishnupur. Another railway station is in Jiribam 225 kilometers from Imphal. Or travelers can travel up to Guwahati by bus or by air.
- By Road - It is 32 kilometers from Imphal. Imphal is connected by road with Dimapur by National Highway 39 and Silchar by National Highway 53. Bus services are available and private vehicles are also available. One can reach Dimapur from Imphal 215 kilometers on National Highway 39 or Guwahati from Imphal nearly 500 kilometers along National Highway 39. Silchar is also connected to Imphal by a 10 hours drive by bus.