The name means the abode of peace. Situated at a distance of 212 kilometers from Kolkata, the place is a meditation centre which was founded by Maharshi Debendranath Tagore, father of the Nobel Laureate famous Bengali poet Rabindranath Tagore.
The poet established a Brahmo school in 1901 which transforms to the famous Viswa Bharati University in 1922. Viswa Bharati is a residential university. Indian government undertook the university in 1941 and in 1951 it became the Central University. Shantiniketan is a prime tourist spot to Indian as well as international tourists.
- Dwija Biram
- Central Library
- Chatim Tala
- Uttarayan Complex
- Shamindra Library
- Singha Sadan
- Sangeet & Kala Bhaban
- Ramkinkar Silpalaya
- Bakreshwar (55 kilometers from Shantiniketan)
- Kankalitala (6 kilometers from Shantiniketan)
- Sriniketan and Deer Park.
Four major festivals of Santiniketan are ~
- Poush Mela (December)
- Maghotsab (February)
- Basanta Utsab (March)
- Varsha Mangal (July - August)
- Sharodutsab (October - November).
- By Air - Nearest airport is at Kolkata (Kolkata Airport), which is air linked with all major Indian and international cities. Nabadweep is 215 kilometers by road from Netaji Subhas Bose International airport. From Shantiniketan its 3 hour by road.
- By Rail – Shantiniketan is an important railhead of the Eastern Railway. Its only 3 to 4 hours journey from Kolkata (Howrah) and numerous trains is available from Kolkata, New Jalpaiguri, Barayuni, Mughalsarai etc.
- By Road – It has a decent road network. Bolpur is well connected by bus to and from Kolkata, Burdwan / Bardhaman, Suri, Panagarh, Dumka, Deoghar etc.