Situated at a distance of 24 kilometers from Kolkata, is on the banks of Balluka river, which then joins the Behula, and finally the latter flows into the Bhagirathi. Temperatures in this region vary from 17 - 18° C in winter to 30 - 35° C in summer.
It was once upon a time a Danish colony. In the year 1616 Danish East India Company made it their colony and named it as Fredricknagar. The first Bengali newspaper Samachar Darpan, first Bengali book ‘Raja Pratapadityar Charitra’ (character of King Pratapaditya) had been printed in this place. The great visionary Dr. William Carey was one of the most important personality during the French Era. You can visit the William Carey museum which preserves the memorabilia of Dr. William Carey. There is an old church named Protestant Self Olf Church built in 1808.
At a distance of 3 kilometers from Serampore one can have a look of ‘Mahesher Rath’ (Chariot at Mahesh). The new Rath is made by Martin Burn Company at an expense of Rs. 20000 of 1885. The Rath is 45 feet in height, 125 ton in weight and is four storied.