visit north east
pintuat the ratetechnodg.co.in
+91 973 353 3000

Hooghly

Hooghly is one of the nineteen districts of West Bengal and the name is derived from Hoogly river. The name is alternatively spelt as Hugli or Hoogli.

Chinsurah is the district headquarter and there are 4 sub division of this distruct. Namely - Serampore, Arambagh, Chandannagar and Chinsurah.

The district is a completely flat land with no place having more than an elevation of 200 meters. The River Hooghly borders it to the east. Another major river is 'Damodar'. The district is bordered by Howrah District to the south, Bardhaman District to the north, and to the east by the River Hooghly. Bankura District lies to the north-west, with Medinipur District to the south-west.

Chinsurah is the historical town of Hooghly. Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay composed the "Vande Mataram," the national song of India, at Chinsurah. The Dutch villa is separated at Joraghat and Townguard. They are called 'Mondal Bari' as they are now under the aristocratic ownership of the Mondal family. One can see the Dutch lioness murals on the entrance doors and allied wooden motifs. In spite of such historical background, a major portion of the original Dutch villa at Townguard road, where once nationalist leaders used to held meetings and conferences, had been demolished and gone into the hands of builders/promoters. The back portion and the joraghat Mondal house with Dutch acknowledgement are intact. The hierarchy of inheritance is becoming weak and the landmark assets needs urgent preservation as well as heritage status application.

To See

  • Hooghly Imambara
    Hooghly Imambara is a mosque cum imambara in Hooghly, West Bengal. The construction of the building was started by Muhammad Mohsin in 1841, which completed in 1861.[2] The building is a two storied structure, which a tall clock tower over the entrance gate.[1] The mosque within the complex has intricate designs and texts from Quran engraved on the wall. The interior of the mosque is decorated with marbles, candles and hanging lanterns.
  • The Bandel Church
    The Bandel Church is one of the oldest Christian churches in West Bengal, India. It stands as a memorial to the Portuguese settlement in Bengal. Built around 1660, it is dedicated to Nossa Senhora do Rosário, Our Lady of the Rosary. It is one of the most prominent historical churches in West Bengal.

 

Address

G-0315, City Centre, Uttorayon
P.O. Matigara, Siliguri, Darjeeling
West Bengal, India - 734010

Call : +91 973 353 3000
Email : pintu@technodg.co.in
Web : www.visitnortheast.com

A service by Marine To Alpine Pvt. Ltd. Website design and development service provided by Techno Developers Group

Enter your keyword