Gompu's hotel is one of the pioneers in hospitality business in Kalimpong, This establishment was started in the early nineteen hundred by Mr. Gompu Tshering, who was one of the early Tibetan settler in pre independent India. This establishment started as a confectionary and a boarding house before the 2nd world war and later became a popular bar & restaurant. From the early days, Gompus was patronized by the local gentry and during the war times it became a popular pub for the wounded soldiers from the Burmese front, who were brought to Kalimpong, Takdah and the neighbouring hills to recuperate in the pleasant climate of the sub-Himalayan region.
Gompu’s, situated in the heart of Kalimpong town is one of the oldest business establishments in Kalimpong. It was founded around 1926 by the late Mr. Gompu Tshering.
Within a walking distance from the main bus station, this hotel is situated in the heart of the town, just next to the Damber Chowk, a prominent landmark in town, which was previously known as the Maharani Chowk, a Newari pagoda style monument constructed in the year 1904 by the people of Kalimpong to commemorate the crowning of Queen Victoria.