It is located 378 kilometers away from Aizawl, and is the district headquarters of the Mara Autonomous District Council in the southern most part of Mizoram. Siaha in the local Mara language is 'Sia' for Masia which means elephant and 'ha' meaning tooth. It is said that a large amount of elephant teeth were found here. Local people name the town as Siaha, but majority Mizos called it by the name 'Saiha', which is purely a translated term in Lushai language.
Saiha is a commercial hub for Mara people and even neighboring Myanmarese. Saiha is also one of the most important cultural melting pots in Mizoram. It is a paradise for anglers as the Chhimtuipui tiver (Kolodyne) the biggest river in Mizoram, teems with bountiful fresh water fishes.
The enchanting lake Pilak the biggest lake in Mizoram and a wildlife sanctuary are located at a distance of 109 kilometers. A foothill of the enigmatic Blue Mountain is only 30 kilometers from Saiha town.
- Lake Pilak
- Wild Life Sanctuary
- Phawngpui (Blue Mountain)
- Chhimtuipui for Angling and fishing
- By Air - Saiha is located 378 kilometers away from Aizawl. Nearest major airport is Shillong. Aizawl, the capital town of Mizoram is linked by Alliance Air Service everyday to Kolkata nearly 1 hour 45 minutes, Guwahati is 40 minutes and Imphal is 30 minutes. Indian Airlines connects Aizawl to rest of India via Guwahati, Imphal and Kolkata. Lengpui airport at Aizawl is connected with Guwahati, Silchar & Kolkata. It is well connected to all the capital cities of the north eastern states of India.
- By Rail - Saiha is located 378 kilometers away from Aizawl. Nearest major airport is Shillong. The nearest rail station is in Silchar, which is 185 kilometers away from Aizawl. One can travel from Guwahati to Silchar by Barak Valley Express, Cachar Express or the Tripura Passenger.
- By Road – Saiha is located 378 kilometers away from Aizawl. National Highway number 54 connects Aizwal with the rest of the country through Silchar. Buses and taxis are available from Silchar to Aizwal. 24 hours bus services are available. Aizawl can be approached by road from Shillong and Guwahati. Taxis can be hired on all days from any part of Mizoram